Chapters and Articles
- The Modern Prison Paradox: Politics, Punishment, and Social Community, 2013. New York: Cambridge University Press
- Arresting Citizenship: The Democratic Consequences of American Crime Control (with Vesla M. Weaver), forthcoming Spring 2014. Chicago: The University of Chicago Press.
Chapters and Articles
- Policy Uptake as Political Behavior: Experimental Evidence from Obamacare (with Meredith Sadin and Samuel Trachtman) American Political Science Review
- Criminal Justice and Incarceration Annual Review of Political Science
- Combatting Biased Decision Making to Promote Justice and Equal Treatment (with Sah et al.). 2017. Behavioral Science & Policy.
- Personal Experience and Public Opinion: A Theory and Test of Conditional Policy Feedback (with Katherine McCabe). 2017. Journal of Politics.
- A Tradeoff Between Democracy and Deterrence? (with Vesla Weaver). 2015. In Democratic Theory and Mass Incarceration, ed. Albert Dzur, Ian Loader and Richard Sparks, New York: Oxford University Press.
- Book Review: “Trapped in America's Safety Net: One Family's Struggle” by Andrea Louise Campbell. 2015. Journal of Politics.
- A Triologue on Democracy and Mass Incarceration, with Vesla Weaver. Perspectives on Politics.
- Does the Front Line Reflect the Party Line? The Politicization of Punishment and Officers' Perspectives on Incarceration, with Joshua Page. British Journal of Criminology.
- Political Ideology, Skin Tone, and the Psychology of Candidate Evaluations, with Katherine McCabe and Meredith Sadin 2015. Public Opinion Quarterly.
- The Carceral State and American Political Development, with Vesla Weaver. In Oxford Handbook of American Political Development, Robert Lieberman, Suzanne, Mettler, and Richard Valelly (eds), New York: Oxford University Press.
- Stereotyping or Projection: How White and Black Voters Estimate Black Candidates' Ideology, with Meredith Sadin. 2014. Political Psychology.
- Reading Wacquant as Both "Lumper" and "Splitter": A Brief Response to Wacquant's "Urban Marginality, Ethnicity, Penality in the Neoliberal City. 2014. Ethnic and Racial Studies Review 37(10):1739-1747.
- Race and Crime in American Politics, from Law and Order to Willie Horton and Beyond, with Vesla Weaver. 2013. In Oxford Handbook of Race, Ethnicity, Immigration and Crime, Michael Tonry and Sandra Bucerius (eds), New York: Oxford University Press.
- Staying Out of Sight? Concentrated Policing and Local Political Action, with Vesla Weaver. 2013. The ANNALS of the American Academy of Political and Social Science
- The State of the Job: An Embedded Work Role Perspective on Prison Officer Attitudes, with Joshua Page. December 2012. Punishment & Society 14(5): 503-529.
- Political Consequences of the Carceral State, with Vesla Weaver. November 2010. American Political Science Review 104(4): 817-833.
- The People Prisons Make: Effects of Incarceration on Criminal Psychology. 2009. In Do Prisons Make Us Safer, Steve Raphael and Michael Stoll (eds), New York: Russell Sage Foundation.
- The Rights of the Accused. 2008. In Public Opinion and Constitutional Controversies, Nate Persily, Jack Citrin and Patrick Egan (eds), New York: Oxford University Press.
- Testing Huntington: Empirical Evidence of Latino Immigrant Assimilation, with Jack Citrin, Michael Murakami, and Kathryn Pearson. March 2007. Perspectives on Politics 5(1): 31-48.
- Policy Conditions and the ACA (with Samuel Trachtman
- Plea Bargains from the Defendant’s Perspective (with Ariel Powell)
- Scope Conditions and Identity Primes (with Laura Stoker and Alexander Sahn)
- Assessing the Evidence on Ban the Box (with Devah Pager)