Chapters and Articles
- The Modern Prison Paradox: Politics, Punishment, and Social Community, 2013. Cambridge University Press
- Arresting Citizenship: The Democratic Consequences of American Crime Control (with Vesla M. Weaver). 2014. The University of Chicago Press.
- The Public Reputation Crisis: How Stereotypes of Government Undermine the Common Good (And What We Can Do To Fix It), June 2019. The University of Chicago Press.
Chapters and Articles
- Criminal Justice and Incarceration. 2018. Annual Review of Political Science
- Perceptions of Public Service Provision: Motivated Reasoning in Quality Assessment and Attribution (with Dan Acland). 2018. American Politics Research
- Policy Uptake as Political Behavior: Experimental Evidence from Obamacare (with Meredith Sadin and Samuel Trachtman) American Political Science Review
- Combatting Biased Decision Making to Promote Justice and Equal Treatment (with Sah et al.). 2017. Behavioral Science & Policy.
- Personal Experience and Public Opinion: A Theory and Test of Conditional Policy Feedback (with Katherine McCabe). 2017. Journal of Politics.
- A Tradeoff Between Safety and Democracy? (with Vesla Weaver). 2015. In Democratic Theory and Mass Incarceration, ed. Albert Dzur, Ian Loader and Richard Sparks, New York: Oxford University Press.
- Critical Trialogue: The Carceral State, with Vesla Weaver. Perspectives on Politics.
- Does the Front Line Reflect the Party Line? The Politicization of Punishment and Officers' Perspectives on Incarceration, with Joshua Page. British Journal of Criminology.
- Political Ideology, Skin Tone, and the Psychology of Candidate Evaluations, with Katherine McCabe and Meredith Sadin 2015. Public Opinion Quarterly.
- The Carceral State and American Political Development, with Vesla Weaver. In Oxford Handbook of American Political Development, Robert Lieberman, Suzanne, Mettler, and Richard Valelly (eds), New York: Oxford University Press.
- Stereotyping or Projection: How White and Black Voters Estimate Black Candidates' Ideology, with Meredith Sadin. 2014. Political Psychology.
- Reading Wacquant as Both "Lumper" and "Splitter": A Brief Response to Wacquant's "Urban Marginality, Ethnicity, Penality in the Neoliberal City. 2014. Ethnic and Racial Studies Review 37(10):1739-1747.
- Race and Crime in American Politics, from Law and Order to Willie Horton and Beyond, with Vesla Weaver. 2013. In Oxford Handbook of Race, Ethnicity, Immigration and Crime, Michael Tonry and Sandra Bucerius (eds), New York: Oxford University Press.
- Staying Out of Sight? Concentrated Policing and Local Political Action, with Vesla Weaver. 2013. The ANNALS of the American Academy of Political and Social Science
- The State of the Job: An Embedded Work Role Perspective on Prison Officer Attitudes, with Joshua Page. December 2012. Punishment & Society 14(5): 503-529.
- Political Consequences of the Carceral State, with Vesla Weaver. November 2010. American Political Science Review 104(4): 817-833.
- The People Prisons Make: Effects of Incarceration on Criminal Psychology. 2009. In Do Prisons Make Us Safer, Steve Raphael and Michael Stoll (eds), New York: Russell Sage Foundation.
- The Rights of the Accused. 2008. In Public Opinion and Constitutional Controversies, Nate Persily, Jack Citrin and Patrick Egan (eds), New York: Oxford University Press.
- Testing Huntington: Empirical Evidence of Latino Immigrant Assimilation, with Jack Citrin, Michael Murakami, and Kathryn Pearson. March 2007. Perspectives on Politics 5(1): 31-48.
- Where Policies and Politics Diverge: Awareness, Assessment, and Attributions in the ACA (with Samuel Trachtman)
- Expanding the Inquiry into Prisons and Mental Health: The Effect of Correctional Work (with Jessie Harney and Meredith Sadin)
- Plea Bargains from the Defendant’s Perspective (with Patricio Dominguez and Ariel Powell)
- The Downside of Downsizing: Racial Effects of State Prison Reform (with Alyssa Mooney)
- Identity, Desistance, and Higher Education: Evidence from a Medium-Security Prison (with Meredith Sadin and Lisa Quan)
- Public Employment and Policy Feedback (with Jessie Harney)
- Race and Place: The Changing Role of Racial Incongruence in Patterns of Arrest (with Alyssa Mooney)
- Sensitivity to Scope Conditions (with Laura Stoker and Alexander Sahn)
- The Promise and Practice of Prison Higher Education (with Meredith Sadin and Lisa Quan) 2018.
- Experiences with Violence and Law Enforcement Health and Well-Being: A Report of the Correctional Officer Survey. 2017.
- The Promise and Practice of Prison Higher Education: Results of a Qualitative Assessment. 2016.
- Public Opinion Toward Income Inequality in California. 2016. In Blueprint for Belonging: Analysis and Research for Advancing a Strategic Narrative for California. Haas Institute for a Fair and Inclusive Society.
- Expanding Education, Reducing Recidivism (with Mia Bird). 2015. PPIC Online.
- Review: "Trapped in America's Safety Net: One Family's Struggle" by Andrea Louise Campbell. 2015. Journal of Politics.
- Protest is Democracy at Work (with Vesla Weaver). 2014. Slate.
- What Medicare Can Teach Us About the Future of Obamacare. 2013. Washington Post.
- How Harsh Policing and Mass Imprisonment Create Second-Class Citizens (with Vesla Weaver). 2014. Scholar Strategy Network.
- A Preliminary Report on the Recidivism-Reducing Effects of Prison Higher Education. 2012.
- Evaluating "The Farm": A Focus Group on Media Effects. 2010. Report to the Highest Common Denominator Media Group.
- Concrete Policy and Correctional Philosophy: Attitudes of California Correctional Officers Towards Rehabilitation. 2007. Report to the Center for Evidence-Based Corrections, University of California, Irvine.
- Managing Prison Violence: Perceptions of Safety Among California Correctional Officers. 2006. Report to the Center for Evidence-Based Corrections, University of California, Irvine.
- Old Neighbors, New Era. 2003. The U.S.-Mexico Futures Forum: A Dialogue. Special Issue of the Center for Latin American Studies.
- Perceptions of Public Service Provision: Motivated Reasoning in